Stonger Together: Professional Bodies - Thing 21


I have been a member of the LAI for nearly fourteen years, joining initially while studying for my HDipLIS. I found it especially beneficial as a newly qualified Librarian. Librarianship was a career change for me, having previously worked in teaching space allocation and event management in a university. My only library work was a temporary part-time post, to fulfill the experience requirement in order to be accepted onto UCD's HDipLIS.

A Good Start


I attended networking events as often as possible while attending college and afterwards. I found the Academic and Special Libraries Group events particularly interesting, as well as being welcoming and friendly.  These events often begin with a formal talk hosted in venues such as the RIA, NLI. These talks usually focused on sharing information and best practice, for example discussing initiatives, projects, collections of that institution. I felt privileged gaining access to these beautiful buildings, but what really surprised me was how approachable everyone was. Senior library managers would come over and chat to us newly qualified librarians, who were invariably feeling a bit shy. The generosity of more experienced colleagues, such as Siobhán Fitzpatrick, made a massive impression on me. Feeling welcome at these events helped ease my early feelings, which were akin to imposter syndrome, at least until I started working as a librarian.

Committing to a Committee


A few years into my career, I joined the Library Ireland Week committee and was a member for two years. While on the committee I met two very inspirational and inclusive librarians who worked in different sectors. I had experience of working on websites and knew HTML, so I was tasked with working on the website. I gained experience on a CMS I hadn't worked on before (Joomla), and it was great to get my head around a new system. However, I was also involved in selecting and ordering print material, working on an RTÉ supporting the Arts radio advertisement, and organising the launch event. This added a new facet, promotion/marketing to my existing project and event management experience. I really enjoyed how democratic the brainstorming sessions were, everyone was encouraged to contribute. Due to geographic constraints, the most active members of the committee were myself and the two librarians I mention above. I enjoyed being part of an effective team, who worked and communicated well together.

Following the completion of the first Library Ireland campaign, one of these librarians asked if I would be interested in joining another committee, iBbY Ireland. I went on to spend four years on the iBbY Ireland committee, three of these years as Treasurer. This was again useful in addressing gaps in my experience and CV and for making connections within children's books and publishing sectors.

I will now present...


I have presented twice at the LAI/CILIP Joint Annual Conference and once at LAI Success Stories. The first time I presented was nerve wracking. I felt very inexperienced in front of a room full of experienced librarians and I let this interfere with the purpose of my presentation, which was to showcase a project I had worked hard on for the previous 9 months. However, I was greatly encouraged by the event Chair who was very kind and put me at ease. I felt the audience were on my side too. A colleague later gifted me with some simple but sage advice: "Take the focus off yourself. Instead focus on the message". I found this simple advice, coupled with breathing, helpful when dealing with nerves.

My second presentation was as part of a group of three and was part of a smaller, breakout session. I was a lot more relaxed second time around and enjoyed the process a lot more. The collaboration in planning the presentation, the delivery and the interaction with the audience proved a positive learning experience.  I felt even more confident at the LAI Success Stories. At this stage I had been working in libraries for several years and knew the atmosphere at LAI events was generally supportive and positive. I think presenting at smaller seminars or breakout sessions/workshops at conference is a great way to get experience in public speaking, presenting, communicating effectively and answering audience questions. All very useful skills for a public librarian who will certainly have to introduce events, speak to schools, give library tours and talks during their career.

I have attended many beneficial LAI talks and training over the years. The Continuing Professional Development Group is a fantastic addition to the LAI, especially for newly qualified librarians, though I haven't attended any of their events myself I would have jumped at the chance to attend their annual CV and interview workshop. It's also great that the committee members mainly comprise librarians beginning their career.

Getting involved...



I think the LAI is a worthwhile professional body and recognise the impressive amount of advocacy, planning, reporting, policy building, organising CPD activities and so much more -all of it voluntary. I therefore think it is very important to support the LAI by being a member and get involved if possible. Although I would like to get involved with a committee again, I will wait until my children are a bit older before committing. The needs of my family has also influenced my decision not to attend conferences that would mean spending a night away from home. So for now I will continue to attend current awareness talks and training in the Dublin area whenever I can.

Applying for LAI Associateship has been on my to do list for a few years. I intend to use the momentum and experience from Rudai23 to finally go for it!

Comments

Popular Posts