Listen here: Podcasts - Thing 19



Full disclosure: I am a bit of a podcast addict, though I don't use the app of the same name, preferring Stitcher, a good looking Android app. I subscribe to a wide variety of cultural, history, music, current affairs podcasts. Like many, my gateway podcast was Serial, and I found the first series highly addictive. I also find This American Life and S-Town to be compelling listens, they are all produced by WBEZ Chicago.

However, despite being a big fan I stubbornly ignore the polite, yet frequent requests "to rate and review" featured in almost every intro and outro. So for my first rate and review I have chosen a podcast I really enjoy, NPR's All Songs Considered. I couldn't find a way to rate or review on the Stitcher app, so I submitted a review on the web version of Stitcher on my laptop.  I also added my review to iTunes where I found it way easier to rate and review. I was surprised by how few ratings (10) and reviews (1).  Unsurprisingly reviews are held for moderation on both platforms. There was a massive disparity between the number of reviews 43 on Stitcher versus 1,168 on iTunes. As a security measure Sticher sent me an email asking me to authorise my review. It was published immediately afterwards.

Here's my review. I don't really have anything bad to say - so this is more fan girl than an exercise in critical thought. It's the one podcast I make sure I never miss.

"My go to podcast for new music, the choices are more interesting, eclectic and international than any others I've listened to. Thanks for introducing me to so much excellent music, which I've gone on to enjoy at some magical gigs here in Ireland.  It's not just the music that keeps me coming back though. They don't shy away from important issues like racial and gender inequalities in music and society.  There's humour too, I enjoy the slagging between presenters Bob and Robin but this show has heart and some of the most memorable moments are when songs have moved them (and me) to tears. Love Ann Powers.  Honourable mention to the interns for some really great recommendations and kudos to the listeners' for really knowing their music - listeners choice is one of my favourite episodes of the year."

Comments

Popular Posts