The quest to become an engaged professional -Thing 22

Becoming an engaged and committed librarian is more important than ever. Yet, as resources are stretched and to do lists feel endless, it can be challenging to find time and energy required to do so. Completing this section of Rudai23 was an welcome tap on my shoulder, reminding me I feel privileged to work in a diverse and rewarding profession. With feelings like this, advocacy and engagement come naturally, rather than feeling like just another chore.
 
For Thing 19: Podcasts I listened to, subscribed, rated and reviewed a podcast. Here's a short review I wrote about the experience.

To complete Thing 20: Advocacy and Engagement, I answered five of the thought-provoking questions posed by Marie O'Neill, and really enjoyed the process. It really made me think, which is always a good thing.

For Thing 21: Professional Groups, I chose to reflect on being a member of the Library Association of Ireland. Here's some of my thoughts and experiences...

Looking at podcast tools

I chose to examine the podcast tools outlined by Laura Rooney Ferris and Martin Ferris in their excellent blog post for Thing 19: Podcasts.

 I am responsible for editing and publishing the Dublin City Public Libraries and Archives and Dublin Festival of History podcasts. Both podcasts are generally recordings of live events, captured in WAV format using Zoom 4Hn recorders. These recorders are very portable, work well using either mains or batteries and a small tripod for positioning. I have very few criticisms of the recording equipment. They are straightforward to use as evidenced in the fact that they have traveled to most of our libraries and have been operated by many library staff without any training, to mostly successful results. The occasional failures have been mostly attributed to the fact that the Record button must be pressed twice. Following feedback I amended the brief instructions enclosed with the recorder to highlight this and always mention it when organising recording with a first time user. I also ensure I include extra batteries in case mains power is not an option, or could lead to a tripping hazard.

I edit the audio and add my intro and outro files using Audacity, before exporting as MP3 for uploading to SoundCloud. I love that Audacity is free and user friendly. I know I only scratch the surface of its vast functionality. My go to functions are 'generate silence', 'amplify' and 'fade in/out'. I have tried noise removal to less satisfactory results. I find it difficult to isolate the offending sound, be it a coughing fit, the No. 15 bus rattling by or a helicopter. I do what I can to minimise the disruption for the listener, but have never succeeded in eradicating the external noises that are part and parcel of recording outside of a studio environment.

SoundCloud is the platform I use for disseminating our podcasts. It is very user friendly, looks good, is widely used.  Another positive feature is the comprehensive range of metadata options when uploading files. As well as generating the RSS I need for seemless integration with podcast subscription services such as iTunes and Stitcher, it allows me to embed audio files for playing of tracks and the ability to group and embed tracks as playlists. I could quibble and say the subscription is the one negative aspect to SoundCloud. However, I think the current fee represents excellent value for money for a platform that offers much functionality, with a well designed, user friendly interface and a good app.

Conclusion and lessons learned

So what have I learned and what would I do differently? Initially recordings were captured as MP3, as files are smaller and that is the format we use to make files available online. However, as a compressed format it is not satisfactory or sustainable for archiving. WAV is preferable archival standard file format. All was required to make the change was to purchase larger SC cards to facilitate the larger file format of WAV, along with a few minor changes to the recorders' settings.

We haven't tended to mic speakers at events in branch libraries but this is something I would definitely consider in the future as a way of combating external noises and creating a more professional sound.  I have yet to record using four channels but I am getting closer to this, having talked to the very sound Sound Engineer Mairead of MorSounds at a recent Dublin: One City, One Book event. Four channel recording should capture a clearer sound from the speaker(s), while retaining the atmosphere of a live event, audience reaction, laughing, clapping etc. I cannot wait to see what the results of this technique sound like.

Comments

Popular Posts